No need to cough out your tea. Europe are not about to enter my 20 Singles chart. As with the 20 Albums – I thought it logical to try and order them.
There are many, many more tracks I could mention. Really this is a personal list, but if one person finds a new track via this near pointless exercise then it’s been worth the effort. In truth, I enjoy writing up this blog and the feedback it gets.
1. Bauhaus – Bela Lugosi’s Dead.
2. New Order – Blue Monday.
3. Siouxsie & The Banshees – Spellbound.
4. Nirvana – Sliver.
5. Hard On’s – Busted / Suck N Swallow.
6. Dead Kennedys – Holiday In Cambodia.
7. Specials – Ghost Town.
8. Adam & The Ants – Kings Of The Wild Frontier.
9. Gaye Bykers On Acid – Nosedive Karma.
10. Laurie Anderson – O’ Superman.
11. Primal Scream – Loaded.
12. The Damned – Stretcher Case.
13. Portishead – Glory Box.
14. Johnny Foreigner – Salt, Peppa & Spinderella.
15. Radiohead – Just.
16. The Misfits – Bullet.
17. The Exploited – Dead Cities.
18. Godflesh – Slateman.
19. The Jam – Funeral Pyre.
20. Money Mark – Hand In Your Head.
Bauhaus deserve the top slot as it’s the most unique single i’ve ever heard. It really is a wonderful, evocative record. Similarly Blue Monday is a record that really got me deeply into music – it’s a fantastic track by a brilliant band.
Really this 20 is my own experience of great music and not a definitive guide for anyone – but there’s some varied, great stuff in there. I’d have liked to have included Killing Joke’s – Love Like Blood, and oddly a Frankie Goes To Hollywood track – but it’s done now…